Monday, January 7, 2013

Cinnamon dough ornaments

Good Monday morning! I hope yours is off to a good start. I'm set for a busy work week, but hopefully will be able to squeeze in some crafty time, too! Today I'm sharing a little project I made for the holidays. These are cinnamon dough ornaments, packaged in some cute polka dot bags I picked up at The Container Store. (one of those purchases where I wish I had purchased quite a few more!) Basically, the recipe here is a little bit of applesauce and A LOT of cinnamon. I picked up store brand cinnamon at the grocery store and used nearly two jars. I sort of followed this recipe, but there are others that also call for glue. I baked mine in the oven at 200 degrees for about an hour, then let them air dry the rest of the way, turning them a couple of times a day so they didn't curl too badly. They sure made my house smell good! I tied twine bows with them and packaged them up to give to family, friends and coworkers. When finished, the ornaments are very hard - I dropped one on the kitchen floor and it didn't even crack! And because cinnamon has natural anti-fungal properties and is used as a pesticide, they should last for a few years.
This is a fun and easy project - you could easily tackle it with your kids, I think! And while I used Christmas cookie cutters to make mine, you could easily used heart-shaped cutters and make them for a fun Valentine's day goodie.
That's all for me today. Thanks for stopping by!
Supplies:
Twine, paper bags from Whisker Graphics, cookie cutters, cinnamon and applesauce

No comments: