Friday, August 22, 2008

The Shipping News

VSN is here! I am one of the challenge hosts, and my challenge was inspired by the book "The Shipping News." Annie Proulx tells a colorful story of a man who retreats to Newfoundland and takes a job at the local newspaper, The Gammy Bird, to support his two young daughters. His main task is to write about the shipping news and his job serves as a backdrop for the story. In some ways, The Gammy Bird becomes a character in the book.
For my challenge, I'm asking VSN participants to use newspaper as an element on their card or project! In my sample, I found an image of newspaper mastheads by searching Google images, then printed it out on cardstock. I also printed the sentiment on my computer.
The challenges are open all weekend, and if you'd like to play in mine or any of the others, we'd love to have you. You can find all the details HERE! And if you have questions, feel free to post them in the comments and I will do my best to answer them!
Supplies:
Paper: real red, basic black, Neenah classic crest solar white
Accessories: computer, image from Google, Cuttlebug distressed stripes, brads from JoAnn's

1 comment:

Lee said...

I think this is so cool!!! Even though I didn't get to do it for VSN, I absolutely plan on doing one!!!! I love how you used black and red to really showcase the newsprint!!!