Sunday, January 13, 2008

Magic flowers

My friend Patty hosts challenges for Stampin UP demonstrators on SCS, but since I'm not a demo, I usually can't play. This week is different, though. Patty shared her challenge on her blog, where she's also offering a prize for one of the people who take her up on it. The deadline to make and upload a card is Jan. 31, so there's still plenty of time to play!
Patty's challenge was to use the magic snowflake technique without using snowflake stamps or the color blue. Magic snowflake is similar to polished stone; you dampen cotton balls with alcohol, add a few drops of reinker, and dab them onto glossy cardstock until you get the desired effect. The magic part comes in first embossing an image in white, then when you're done coloring the cardstock, using your heat gun to chase the ink away from the embossed pieces, revealing the white image underneath. I thought Fabulous Flowers was a great choice for this challenge. I also used my new Cuttlebug to make a slider, which I sponged with cranberry and white craft inks.
Supplies:
Stamps: Fabulous Flowers, Short and Sweet (SU)
Paper: Cranberry crisp, rose romance, whisper white, glossy white
Ink: Versamark, cranberry crisp, craft white, rose romance
Accessories: Cuttlebug, Bazzill brads, organdy ribbon, sponges, embossing powder

No comments: