Thursday, September 13, 2007

Secret sister

Now that VSN is over, I can share the cards and projects I made for my secret VSN sister, Trina (aka Beena on SCS). Trina said her favorite colors were neutrals and earth tones, so I used the earth tones as my pallette. I really enjoy working on projects "for" someone; it allows me to customize them, and also push myself to work outside my color/style comfort zone. Early on after I found out who my secret sis was, I stopped at LSS to do a little shopping and picked up this sheet of patterned paper from the Well Worn collection by Paper Loft. That single sheet was used for all these projects, plust the two cards below. I also used the stamps from Heartfelt Thanks on all of this collection. The trio in the first picture is an altered notebook, a post-it holder and a luggage tag. The notebook was from the $1 spot at Michaels (though I actually got it on sale half off!) I used mod podge to adhere the front and back covers, then added grosgrain ribbons down the side. The image was stamped in really rust and artichoke, and I added a prima and brad before layering it on artichoke and buckaroo blue, if memory serves! I also added the friend stamp from Noteworthy. The post-it holder contains two monogram post-it pads, also from the Michaels $1 spot. I got the idea from Emily Giovanni (Emilymomto3boys - her blog is linked at right). I used the same colors, ribbon and stamps, with the addition of a sentiment from another retired SU set, I think it's called Just for fun. The luggage tag has lots of sponging - not sure why, but I got in a sponging frenzy on that one. I added chocolate chip and bordering blue ink to that image in addition to the rust and artichoke. The alphabet stamps are Marcella K from Target. I finished it with more primas, brads and ribbons.
The card above was sent with the reveal package. Same colors, ribbons, brads and paper, with addition of a buckle from hodgepodge hardware. I was really pleased with this layout.
The last card was actually the first thing I made using the paper, and was one of three cards I sent to Trina before the reveal package. The ribbon is May Arts, I believe, and the brads are large misc. brads from my stash. I punched the image out with my Marvy square scallop punch. I really liked finally have a scallop punch, but I ended up returning this one because it wasn't a clever lever and really did not punch well at all. Now I scallop-less again :( ! Anyway, this was my first-ever, and only so far, tent-topper card. The concept was developed by Michelle Wooderson; I think I need more practice, because these proportions seem a little off to me. Nonetheless, I was really pleased overall with how these projects came out. I don't think I have much if any scraps of that sheet of dp left; too bad, I really liked it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your projects are gorgeous!! Trina is one lucky girl to get all that great loot from you.

Corie said...

SO BEAUTIFUL -- I am sure they were a BIG hit.