Thursday, April 26, 2007

Tagged again!

Kimberly Schofield of Colorful World - who provided me with my great blog candy win last week - tagged me in the latest round of tag! So now I have to think up seven random facts about me to share with all of you. Here goes:
1) We had a book-reading contest in first grade and I won by reading the most books and earning circles on the class bookworm that we built throughout the year. My mom saved at least a dozen of the worm segments and put them in my baby trunk to save for me. I found them a couple of years ago when I was going through the trunk, and someday I imagine they'll be in a scrapbook somewhere. The book that won me the contest was one of the books in the Little House on the Prairie series, though I can't remember now which one!
2) I was on the swim team during high school, lettering three of four years not because I was very good, but because I was willing to swim the long distance events that not a lot of other people wanted to. I won a race once, and the local weekly paper happened to be there and put my picture on the front of the sports section. My mom saved that, too!
3) I was in a Masonic youth group call Rainbow when I was growing up. I met two of my best friends in the group, and we are still friends today.
4) I'm half Norwegian. My mom is from a long line of Norwegians who came to the U.S. and settled in Minnesota and North Dakota before her branch of the family headed further west to Oregon. I love lefse (think tortillas made with potatoes), a Norwegian tradition. The other half of my ethnic background is a mix of Northern European stuff, mostly German, I think, but I don't know for sure.
5) I was 17 the first time I flew on a plane. I went to Phoenix with the youth group mentioned above. It was July and hotter than heck! My friend and I spent most of one day in the pool at her grandparents' house and even though I had put on sunscreen, I fried. That is the sunburn I will blame when I develop skin cancer. I know better now - this pale Norwegian skin needs lots and lots of sunscreen, and frequently!
6) I spent my sophomore year of college living in Salzburg, Austria, and travelling all over Europe on weekends and holidays. It was truly one of the best experiences of my life, and I discovered several places in Europe that I love! My favorite spots are probably Venice, Italy, Brugges, Belgium, and Salzburg, of course. Sadly, I have not made it back to Europe since then.
7) I've eaten at the Big Texan steakhouse in Amarillo, Texas. It's definitely a tacky tourist stop but worth it if you're passing through. And if you can eat a 72 oz. steak (plus salad, baked potato and other trimmings) in an hour, they'll give it to you free. I didn't even try!

Now you know a few random things about me. But I don't know who else to tag - maybe Melinda, Denise, Jen, or any of the rest of you listed in my blogroll?

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hey Michelle! Glad you found the tag on my site...I've been meaning to tag you on your site to let you know but it's been so darn busy!

Thanks for sharing some info...love that you got to spend all that time in Europe - what a fantastic experience!